About St Mary's
Mission and Strategic Aims
- Related Link
Our Legal Objects
“To advance education, in such manner as befits a Catholic foundation, by:
- the provision, development and conduct of a Catholic institution of higher education; and
- the provision of training and continuing professional development for teachers in both religious and secular schools, with special provision for those intending to teach in Catholic and other Christian schools.”
(Articles of Association of St Mary's University, Twickenham: approved by the Privy Council January 2014)
A Catholic foundation in higher education is understood as “an academic institution which in a rigorous and critical fashion assists in the advancement of human dignity and cultural heritage through research, teaching and services offered to local, national and international communities.”
(Source: Ex Corde Ecclesiae 1990 para 12: quoted in The Canon Law Society of Great Britain and Ireland The Canon Law: Letter and Spirit, p 442)
St Mary’s prepares its students for flourishing lives, successful careers and social commitment through excellent, research-enriched teaching in a strong community of mutual respect based on our Catholic ethos and identity.
Generosity of spirit
Our Strategic Aims 2011-2016
1. To be a distinctive institution within UK higher education, providing a unique experience for our students and staff by virtue of our values and identity as a Catholic university.
2. To offer our students through excellent teaching and learning the opportunity to achieve their full academic and career potential.
3. To enhance the quality and quantity of our research, knowledge exchange and enterprise.
4. To manage our resources effectively and imaginatively to ensure a sustainable future and to provide maximum value for our students.
Approved by the Board of Governors