Centre for Workplace Learning About Us
The Centre for Workplace Learning (CWL) offers employers and students the opportunity to work together, through student work placements, providing benefits to both parties:
- St Mary's students work part-time, on a voluntary basis, to help employers achieve their goals.
- Employers provide students with the opportunity to put their knowledge and skills to practical use and to develop workplace skills.
We work with a wide range of businesses, from local SMEs to national brands, and from corporates to community organisations and charities. We are committed to finding a good match between students and employers across a wide range of organisations and subject disciplines.
The CWL team comes from a range of backgrounds including: Management Consultancy, Public Relations, Human Resources, Education and the Media. Most members of the team work part-time at SMUC, and our experience also includes working as senior managers, subject specialists, educationalists and company directors.
Each student is allocated a Placement Advisor who works with them in weekly group workshops and acts as their individual mentor. The student’s Placement Advisor is also able to develop a relationship with the host organisation so that the university, the student and the organisation can work together to achieve a successful outcome.
The CWL team works with students to:
- help them find suitable placements
- Prepare them for the work they undertake
- Ensure they are able to make the most of this learning opportunity
- Develop links between their academic studies and their work experience
Our Placement Advisors visit host organisations to:
- Discuss the organisation's needs and opportunities
- Provide further information about the placement process
- Look for ways to help ensure the best experience
- Monitor and review student progress